25 Jul 2022 note: Google partly fixed the bug: Now my research does appear in search results (however, not yet for more general search phrases such as “general topology”).
Steps to reproduce:
- Check that typing “algebraic general topology” (in quotes) or “general topology funcoids” (without quotes) finds no peer-reviewed results on this topic except for https://znanium.com/catalog/document?id=347707 that is highly ineffective because of no SEO (I checked) and being unusable without knowing the Russian language.
- Ensure that AGT was discovered no later than Sun Aug 9 23:24:32 2015 +0300 by downloading https://github.com/vporton/algebraic-general-topology (in fact it was discovered in 1997 and put online somewhere between 1997 and 2015, much before 2015).
- Recall that Google gives a low priority to non-refereed scientific works.
- Conclude that a branch of science effectively disappeared from SERPs.
Steps to reproduce:
- Study in a university, then burn your diploma. Now you are an amateur.
- Make a big scientific discovery (the hard part in reproducing).
- Publish it as an open access book in a rare foreign language with a not very prestigious publisher that may be not counted as peer-reviewed by reputable ones.
- Now you can’t publish it with a reputable publisher, because after burning your diploma you most likely can’t earn enough money to do it on your own and reputable publishers don’t publish open access works of amateurs for free, especially if they are already published.
- Others can’t publish on this topic, too, because scientific ethics forbids publishing research of others.
- To finish the exploit completely, have a conflict with arXiv moderation, and be blocked in some way or another for an extended period of time.
- A branch of science became unpublishable. (It is confirmed as a fact that PhDs base their research on works on other PhDs, as they don’t base their research on works of a non-PhD, so creating a stumbling block in the science. I broke brains of PhDs causing them not to do research in this field.)
- Dependence of Google on academic peer review triggers the bug, namely a branch of science buried too deep in SERP results.
- There is no reason to expect that this issue with any particular branch of science will resolve by itself.
The above is probably the easiest way to exploit the vulnerability, I did it in a hard way:
Instead of burning my diploma, I was fanatically telling everybody that I am a religious fanatic, what forced me to leave the university not receiving any degree or diploma. By the way I did two fundamental mathematical discoveries. (In fact, I did 2 or 2.5 fundamental math discoveries.)
The attacker’s gain is suffering (failing my project) for Christ and receiving a reward in heaven. A deliberate attacker may specifically gain collapse of the civilization by halting science development and thus mankind becoming unable to resist global warming. Another attacker may gain breaking carrier of his foe (burning his diploma instead of his own).
See also: How modern scientific ethic may block a science for more details on what happened to me.